Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Reflection & body image

At the ripe age of 23 I am feeling OLD. I am not sure if it's just because my body is being beaten up by mundane, endless, painful contractions, or if it's because I am chasing around the sweetest 9 month old I know. 
I made the serious mistake of coming across this picture yesterday. I was first runner up Miss Whatcom County 2008. I had near a 6 pack of abs, was tan, had perfectly bleached teeth & highlights were kept up on a regular basis. I had the best boyfriend in the world. He adored my "making myself feel pretty" because he knew it helped me. He, however, liked me regardless (and still does after 8 years of being together). I felt beautiful. I won swimsuit, talent, & overall points with the judges but still ended up in second because they weren't sure I could "commit" due to my intense school schedule.

 Now. NOW...
I am 29.5 weeks pregnant with Kyla. My darling daughter #2. I am white as a ghost, I have circles under my eyes from sleepless nights & my highlights... well, I get those touched up when I can afford to.
Abs? What are those? I haven't seen those since before I got pregnant with Lexi.

I have surpassed the weight I was when I gave birth to Lexi, which puts me weighing in at the most I have in my entire life (with 8 weeks to go, how's that for depressing?). Lately I feel like I'm eating myself into a black hole. 5 days ago I was admitted into labor & delivery for pre-term labor. Contractions 2 minutes apart for over 18 hours. I am thoroughly amazed at what a woman's body can handle! So now I sit, on near bedrest, cuddling my baby girl in our last few weeks of "just us" as I take my pills to keep me from contracting.
This is a picture of me when I was pregnant with Lexi (below). I was exactly 38 weeks pregnant & this is 5am on our way to the hospital. I had only gained a mere 19 pounds & had a super cute tiny baby belly. I also popped right back to my skinny self in no time. I'm not thinking that's as much of a possibility this go around. 
I am larger now than I've ever been. I let my root grow out & don't stay on top of spray tanning. But I am also the happiest I've ever been. I have a husband who loves me very very much, and a precious daughter that I fall more in love with everyday. Lexi, you are going to make a fabulous big sister. Kyla, I cannot wait to meet you, hold you, kiss your face & mother you. 
Children are a blessing. They are a gift. I will give up all body images for this new one: Mom. And I will wear it proud.
Oh yeah... this ^^ is me in my PRE-pregnancy jeans FULL TERM with Lexi. Not happening this time around. Welcome to me not being able to get those suckers up past my thighs, let alone my rear end. HA!


Thank you Lord for showing me what things are truly important in life. For whittling down my selfish ways & forcing me to be grateful & all relying on You and Trevor.

1 comment:

  1. You were the most gorgeous pregnant mama I think I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete